Is Laparoscopic Bariatric Surgery for You?
Gastrointestinal surgery may be the next step for people who remain severely obese after trying nonsurgical approaches. Candidates for surgery:
- BMI of 40 or more
- Life-threatening obesity-related health problem such as diabetes, severe sleep apnea, or heart disease and a BMI of 35 or more
- Obesity-related physical problems that interfere with employment, walking, or family function.
- No endocrine cause of obesity
- Absense of drug or alcohol problems
- No uncontrolled psychological conditions
- Dedicated to life-style change and follow-up
If you fit the profile for surgery, answers to the following questions may help you decide whether weight-loss surgery is appropriate for you. Are you:
- unlikely to lose weight successfully with nonsurgical measures, including medically supervised programs?
- well informed about the surgical procedures and the effects of treatment?
- determined to lose weight and improve your health?
- aware of how your life may change after the operation (adjustment to the side effects of the surgery, including the need to chew well and inability to eat large meals)?
- aware of the potential for serious complications, dietary restrictions, and occasional failures?
- committed to lifelong medical follow-up?
Remember: Not every sufferer is a candidate for surgery. Bariatric surgery is an elective operation and the benefits of surgery must outweigh the potential risks of surgery. There are no guarantees for any method, including surgery, to produce and maintain weight loss. Once the decision has been made to pursue surgery, treatment does not end with the operation. That is merely the beginning. Success is possible only with maximum cooperation and commitment to behavioral change and medical follow-up—and this cooperation and commitment must be carried out for the rest of your life.*
* Disclaimer: The testimonials, statements, and opinions presented on our website are only applicable to the individuals depicted, and may not be representative of the experience of others. The testimonials are provided voluntarily and are not paid, nor were they provided with free services, or any benefits in exchange for said statements. The testimonials are not indicative of future results or success of any other individuals. Association of South Bay Surgeons a Medical Group, Inc cannot and does not guarantee the medical outcome or the results of individuals utilizing the services provided by us.*
Request a Consultation »
FREE INFO SESSION
Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass
Tues, Dec 12
Thurs, Dec 14
Tues, Dec 19
Tues, Jan 9
5:00 - 6:00 PM
23451 Madison Street
Torrance, CA 90505
Please call if you have questions
(No reservation required)